It's been a while...


Those of you who follow my blog probably have been wondering what the heck happened. Where did she go? And whats this with no posts AT ALL for the month of April? I think I've hit a record high for not keeping up with my bloggerly responsibilities.

But its been a busy and exciting time for me. So I have excuses. Tons of them. Pages and pages of them. Books full, in fact. Starting with my Archaeology text books, and moving on to my Linguistic Anthropology text books (which ironically talk about, among other things, texts, intextualization, contextualization, detextualization and retextualization)and finally to a huge stack of fascinating work by Anthropologists from Latin America for my Anthropology of Latin America class. From the really frigid and dark depths of winter I have read, written and studied my way to the warm and sunny days of spring, past the cherry blossoms and into those fresh clean green days of late springtime when the weather demands that you rush outside and play. And now, I'm done.

As of mid-May I turned in my final paper and have found myself enjoying the joys of not having to read anything I dont want to, not having to write except when I feel like it and not having to get up at 6:30 in the morning and spend all Friday in front of books, notes and my computer just so I could justify a night of dancing instead of studying. I graduated with my Masters in Anthropology on May 18th and I couldn't have been more ready.

But thats not the end of it. As some of you know, I applied to various schools last fall to enter a PhD program in Anthropology. I even did a post all about Bloomington Indiana where Indiana Univeristy, with its PhD in Anthropology with a concentration in Food Studies, is located. As March turned in April this year I waited anxiously to find out where I got in. And finally I got the news that not only had I been accepted at Indiana University, but I got a full scholarship as well. So this August I will be moving to a whole new region of this fascinating country, where, no doubt, I will experience culture shock all over again, but will also eat some new and delicious food and have some great experiences.

In the meantime I am trying to enjoy every moment of my time with all my friends here in Washington DC. This has involved a lot of eating out, but there has been some cooking via a program we call "culinary madness". I'll be talking a bit more about that in my next post. For now, I leave you with a picture of the graduate celebrating at the Cheesecake Factory where I had possibly one of the best vegetarian sandwiches, an amazing eggplant sandwich, that I have ever consumed. I know, I can't believe it either! The cheesecake factory is not exactly known for fine cuisine but this was scrumptious! And a perfect celebratory meal after standing in drizzle on the National Mall for several hours of graduation commencement.

Labels: