My Grandma's "Raisin Breakfast Biscuits"


My Grandma is famous for these delectable breakfast breads, which she has been making since the early sixties, when she had 8 hungry little kids begging for them on special occasions like Easter and Christmas and their birthdays. My Mom always called them breakfast cookies, and that is an apt name, as they are sweet and moreish. One simply can't eat just one of these tasty brunch treats. They are a staple at Grandma's house when relatives come to visit, and so it was no surprise that we enjoyed them this week during my spring break visit with my mom, aunt, uncle and cousin.

My Grandmother got the recipe from a magazine proudly toting the virtues of California Raisins. It is easy to make and relies on pre-made biscuit dough. You, however, are welcome to substitute a recipe of your favorite biscuit dough if you would prefer to make them from scratch. Simply roll and cut the biscuits and then proceed as below. This recipe makes enough topping to cover at least 30 biscuits, but you can simply store any leftover topping in a tightly closed container until you want to make some more. And believe me, you will want to make these regularly!


Mix together the 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of chopped nuts and 1 cup of raisins. My cousin hates raisins, so my grandma always mixes up a bit of sugar and nuts (sans the hated dried grapes) for her. If you are in the no-raisin camp, you can simply use 1 and 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, or replace the cup of raisins with dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries or chopped dried fruit of any kind. You may also flavour the topping with cinnamon, ginger or other spices or add a bit of minced candied ginger if you so desire. Personally, I love them just the way they are, but that won't prevent me from future experimentation.

The pre-made biscuits.

Patting them out.

The magic mixture!

Ready for the oven!

Labels: , ,